One of the first tables I created when I started work on this site was
categories; of course posts and images needed a category. I then added a
tags table and went on with my day. So posts and images could have one category and multiple tags. Great!
Well… Maybe not… As soon as I started adding content I realized that categorizing things is really hard… Yeah, somethings are clear-cut; like a project with an AVR microcontroller. But what about if a project has both an AVR microcontroller and an Arduino board?Read more...
Life have been pretty busy the last couple of months, both at work and at home. So I haven’t had much time available for projects lately… And I started re-watching Game of Thrones, damn that series is awesome, and addictive! But I have some projects in the making :)Read more...
On Aug 18 03:38:37 (UTC+2) a backup script behaving badly filled up the entire server hard drive. This caused a number of services to crash, e.g. database and caching, which are pretty important parts of the system. This meant that pretty much the entire site returned 500 errors, the exceptions being pages that nginx had cached.
Nginx is set to micro-cache all pages on this site, and in the case of exceptions or other errors it serves stale (expired) versions of the cached page. Coincidentally this included the page the health checker uses to verify that the site is OK, which meant that the problem went unnoticed by the health check.
The problem was fixed 3.5 hours later. It is a pretty unfortunate series of events, but still; a few lessons learned:
Just checking in… :) Here are some recently implemented site changes and updates:
I’ve had all my private repositories on BitBucket for a number of years, but all my public/open source projects on GitHub. But after GitHub announced unlimited private repositories I figured it was time to leave BitBucket behind.
Now; BitBucket is a wonderful service, and you can have unlimited private repos for free! But I have to admit that I like the UI and community on GitHub more, a lot more actually.
After moving the entire repository and issue list to GitHub I also implemented a new way of deploying…Read more...
Images are a big part of the web and, according to Http Archive, 64% of the average bytes per page are images. So optimized images are definitely a big factor when it comes to site performance and weight. However; finding the balance between filesize and quality can be difficult, enter Kraken.io!
I am proud to announce some massive improvements to our images, here are the biggest changes:
Also; all our high quality images have been uploaded in even higher quality.
Creating a good and fast search for your website is difficult, and very time consuming. Stop words, relevance, word weight and spelling errors…
I used full text search for a long time; but it’s far from perfect. It does handle stop words, but I found the relevance sorting to be less than ideal. And it does not at all tolerate misspellings.
Then I discovered Algolia!Read more...
I have updated the jQuery library from 1.x to 2.2, this means that support for Internet Explorer 6, 7, and 8 browsers is removed. I don’t really view this as a problem, seeing as even Microsoft is pulling the plug on Internet Explorer 8, 9, and 10.
jQuery 2.x is smaller and faster, and lets face it; if you are still using Internet Explorer 6, 7 or 8 you really need to upgrade!Read more...
I’ve been using Disqus for comments on this site since it launched, never been happy with it though. However it did work, and it did allow me to implement comments with minimum effort.
I’ve been playing with the idea of writing a commenting system myself for some time, and about three weeks ago I got started. Today I am happy to announce that the new code has been pushed to the production server last night :)Read more...
After experimenting and playing with Nginx micro caching for some time; I have turned it on for the entire domain. My server can now handle more connections with less load, awesome!
I’ve spent the last week or so coding and adapting the website to Laravel 5 and today it was deployed to the production server:D I’ll spent the next weeks fine-tuning and tweaking while continuing to add content.
Maintenance was performed as planned yesterday, with around 30 minutes of downtime. I am currently working on improving some key components of the site before adding more projects. This should, among other things, improve the response time somewhat. More information to come… :)
I have successfully merged my old logistics system with this site. A lot of development was needed on back-end features and functions that is not really visible. So although it might look like nothing has been done; the change log says otherwise :) With all the back-end data now in place; (almost) all projects will get a complete parts list and…
I have started migrating projects from the old wiki system! :D
I’ve finally started to migrate content! First on the list is some resources from my previous logistics system, mostly used behind the scenes. After that I will start with the projects from the old Wiki, so stay tuned, I’ll keep you updated :)
This site is so newly born it still has it’s umbilical cord (figuratively speaking), so there might be some bugs that needs ironing out. And a lot of content to move, a lot! I will do my best to get it done in a timely fashion, but it is going to take some time… Stay tuned, I’ll keep you updated :)